Brule County Register of Deeds
300 S. Courtland St, Ste 110
Chamberlain, SD 57325
Welcome to the Brule County Register of Deeds Office.
This office provides several services to the county and is the primary county record-keeping and archival office. The register of deeds office is also an excellent source for genealogy information.
The Register of Deeds office works closely with the public, as well as other governmental municipalities, planning and zoning offices, land title companies, banks and other financial institutions, land surveyors, real estate businesses; and various state departments and agencies, including, but not limited to, the Secretary of State’s office, the Department of Health, and the Department of Revenue.
Following is a list of our main functions and records available:
- Vital Records - certified copies are available for birth, death, and marriage. For out-of-state customers who need an expedited record, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, ,by phone at 1-800-255-2414 or call our office directly to place your order. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express, Discover, Mastercard or Visa.
Fees for vital records requested by mail or in-person
(records will not be mailed until payment is received).
Birth records - $15, can issue statewide
Death records - $15; can issue statewide after 1960,
county records since 1905
Marriage records - $15; can issue statewide after
1950:county records from 1882.
Burial records - $1/page, state law required records in
1941.We also have a partial listing of earlier records.
- Issue marriage license - cost is $40 and the license is valid for 20 days from the date of issuance.
- Recording of real estate documents (plats, deeds, mortgages, satisfactions, assignments, etc.)
- Filing of fictitious or Business Names – these may be filed locally or at https://sosenterprise.sd.gov/BusinessServices/Fictitious/FictitiousHome.aspx
- UCC filings (fixture filings attached to the land only)
- Filing of liens (hospital, county, mechanics, federal, & state tax liens)
- Filing of Military Discharge
- Filing dam/dugout location notices
· State health department –vital record request forms and searchable database for birth records over 100 years old; http://doh.sd.gov/
· Recording fees for all land records: Brule County Fee Brochure
· Exempt from transfer fee SDCL 43-4-22 accepted exemption
numbers: SD Exemption Transfer Fee
· Real estate certificate of value, required for all types of deeds:
Certificate of Real Estate Value
· Requirements for real estate documents:
Document Format Standards
The Brule County Register of Deeds accepts all forms of payment including credit/debit card. There is a $2.50 transaction fee or 3% if over $83 for credit/debit cards when used in person in the office.
Submitters must follow South Dakota Electronic Recording Standards:
Documents must adhere to South Dakota recording laws:
Brule County Procedures For E-recording
The following document types require a South Dakota Certificate of Value to be filed with them. See link above for CV form.
1. Warranty Deed
- Electronic recordings will be received between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm Central Time. E-packages may be submitted at any time, however they will not be recorded outside of posted hours.
- Payment of recording fees must be made via ACH by the Delivery Agent (e-recording vendor), the county will not accept payments for recording fees and /or transfer tax directly from the e-recording submitter customer.
- Only Electronic Models 2 and 3 will be accepted (visit pria.us for additional information.)
- Documents must be original and scanned in black and white with a minimum of 300 dpi.
- Electronic documents must adhere to all South Dakota Statutes.
- No more than one satisfaction/assignment may be listed on the instrument.
- Images must be sent in TIFF or PDF.
- Documents will be rejected if not legible.
- Brule County's electronic recording provider is Simplifile.
- Brule County Register of Deeds, by communicating the request to Simplifile, reserves the right to terminate the right for submitter customers to continue to e-record in Brule County.
- There are no additional fees charged by this county for e-recording; however, a submission fee will be charged by the submitter vendor.
- Currently the following documents will be accepted electronically by the Brule County Register of Deeds:
- Satisfaction of Mortgage
- Assignment of Mortgage
- Corrective or re-record Mortgage
- Partial Release of Mortgage
- Modification of Mortgage
- Amendment of Mortgage
- Assignment of Rents
- Satisfaction of Assignment of Rents
- Affidavit of Possession
- Affidavit of Identity
- Transfer on Death Deed
- Revocation of Transfer on Death Deed
- Affidavit of Confirmation
2. Corrective Warranty Deed
3. Quit Claim Deed
4. Corrective Quit Claim
5. Trustee's Deed
6. Personal Representative Deed
7. Conservator's Deed
8. Contract for Deed
9. Assign Contract for Deed
10. Amend Contract for Deed
11. Release Contract for Deed
12. All other deed types not listed above.
Please call for information or assistance, we are here to serve the people.